Shoes That Fit Latest News and Events
Latest News and Events is dedicated to give you information about our organization, events, volunteer sponsor groups and children we help.
If you would like to submit your Shoes That Fit volunteer group's news or event information, please email email@example.com
Thank you for taking time to catch up with all the latest news here at Shoes That Fit! As longtime supporter and recently appointed Executive Director Amy Fass smoothly transitions into her new role, our focus remains on continuing to expand our outreach efforts and establish new school programs in areas where the need is greatest. Your gift to Shoes That Fit helps makes this possible. Having compiled our most recent statistical data, here are just a few milestones reached in 2013:
• Shoes That Fit provided shoes at 1,854 schools in 45 states and the District of Columbia.
• More than 126,000 new shoes and other necessities were raised and distributed.
• Nordstrom and New Balance provided 20,000 new shoes through the Giving Tree campaign.
• DaVita’s nationwide "Shoes-a-palooza" Campaign raised over 13,000 new pairs of shoes
• We earned a fourth consecutive 4-STAR rating from Charity Navigator which is considered an "exceptional" charity designation.
• Rack Room Shoes provided new shoes for nearly 12,000 children in 24 states
If you’re considering spring cleaning, now you can clear out those closets and support the work of Shoes That Fit, too! Fashion Project is an exciting new way to donate your gently worn designer clothing, shoes and accessories. Choose Shoes That Fit as your designated charity and Fashion Project donates a portion of the sale of your items back to us! Visit their website today at www.FashionProject
Join our volunteers at Clark County Law Foundation for wine, appetizers and great conversations at their ‘Sippin for Shoes That Fit’ event May 6 at Echo and Rig Butcher & Steakhouse on Rampart Blvd., Las Vegas! Call Clark County Law Foundation at 702-333-8277 or purchase tickets online at: http://www.clarkcountylawfoundation.org/community-service/
Volunteers at Southern CA Edison-Irwindale’s IT Department collected 350 pairs of new athletic shoes in less than 1 month! The smiles on the faces of children who received them were electric!
Our corporate partners at DaVita, Inc. continue to amaze us with their enthusiasm for our program. They recently provided 944 pairs of new shoes to children in need in Orange County, CA!
The Village Marketing Group in Claremont, CA once again provided nearly 200 local schoolchildren with new shoes, socks and other goodies during their annual Spring For Shoes campaign. Special thanks to owner Mike of The Last Drop Café for coordinating this year’s event and to all participating merchants and community members who supported this effort.
Save The Date: June 28th 4pm-8pm Claremont Village Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk (CA). This annual fundraiser always a sold-out event! Tickets Now On Sale! http://www.claremontbluesandbrews.com/
On Feb.1st, 2014, Shoes That Fit officially welcomed Amy Fass as its third Executive Director in the organization's 22 years.
Amy has been a long-time supporter and consultant for us, and we are pleased that she has accepted this appointment by the Board of Directors. We are confident that Shoes That Fit will continue to grow and thrive under her leadership.
Amy has been working for several months to ensure a smooth transition into the position and looks forward to meeting all of our volunteers and supporters in the upcoming months.
Please join us in welcoming Amy to her newest role within the Shoes That Fit Family!
We recently completed our yearly statistics and are proud to report that as of today, we support over 1,800 schools in 45 states and the District of Columbia. Some additional facts and figures of interest:
- To date, 1,313,879 new pairs of shoes and other items have been raised and delivered to children in need.
- More than 126,000 pairs of new shoes and other items were raised and distributed to children in need throughout the United States in 2013.
- We have earned the highest 4-Star rating from Charity Navigator, America’s top independent charity evaluator, for four consecutive years, a distinction awarded to only 6% of charities.
The annual Shoes That Fit for Spring event, sponsored by Village Marketing Group, kicks off on March 14, 2014 in downtown Claremont, CA. Here’s how it works:
- Supporters visit any participating store or eatery, take a free tote bag labeled with a child’s name, age & shoes size, fill the bag with new shoes, socks & other goodies then return the bag to the establishment they picked it up from.
It’s that easy to give a child in need a ‘spring’ in his step and a renewed sense of self-esteem. This year’s headquarters for the event is: Last Drop Café. Click here for the latest details and a list of participating merchants.
There are many ways you can help children in need through Shoes That Fit. Here are just a few:
- Spread the word about our programs through social media. You can find us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!
- Help expand our reach to more children in need by becoming a monthly donor. It’s easy, safe and secure. You decide how much to give, but for $25 a month (that’s less than $1 a day!) you can help change the life of a child in need.
- Donate your vehicle (in any condition) to Shoes That Fit through Cars 4 Causes
- Shop online through GoodShop by GoodSearch or AmazonSmile and a % of your purchase is donated when you choose Shoes That Fit as your designated charity BEFORE shopping.
However you choose to support Shoes That Fit and the children we serve, we Thank You!
Roni Lomeli will be stepping down as executive director of Shoes That Fit at the end of January 2014. "Roni has been the award-winning leader and driving force behind Shoes That Fit's extraordinary success," said Shoes That Fit board member and former chair Ralph Shapira. With many accolades and awards bestowed upon her over the years, including her most recent Town & Country magazine and Longines watches’ prestigious "Women Who Make a Difference" award, Roni is credited for building Shoes That Fit into a national charity that has given over 1 million pairs of new shoes and other needed items to children in need in hundreds of communities and schools across America. Here is a message from Roni to all of our donors, volunteers and supporters.
Letter from the Executive Director
Dear Friends of Shoes That Fit,
It is with mixed emotions that I announce my retirement as the Executive Director for Shoes That Fit effective January 31, 2014. While I am happy to begin a new chapter of my life, I am saddened to leave the role that I have cherished and enjoyed for more than a decade. I’ve found that the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work and love doing it. It has certainly been rewarding to “make a difference” in so many children’s lives and to have the opportunity to meet and work with so many wonderful people who share our vision that every child deserves shoes that fit.
I learned that my role at Shoes That Fit was about creating lasting relationships with friends, volunteers and donors, bringing them into the Shoes That Fit family, and then watching as they came to realize that their support could change young lives forever.
I believe now is the right time for me to move on. I am leaving Shoes That Fit in solid position to continue making a difference for the children we serve. Last year’s milestone of having provided over one million pairs of shoes and other critical items to children in need was very poignant and something I will always cherish.
The Shoes That Fit Board of Directors has decided to appoint Amy Fass as my successor. I am very pleased with their decision as Amy brings a fresh perspective to the organization and will continue to further our mission. Amy is a longtime supporter of Shoes That Fit and she has been working with the organization as a consultant for the past year. Amy is committed to the mission of Shoes That Fit and shares the same passion and excitement for helping the children we serve.
Thank you for your support and friendship over the years. I will continue to be involved as a volunteer and supporter of Shoes That Fit forever. Shoes That Fit will always be near and dear to my heart.
Even though the holiday season is in full swing, there’s still plenty of time for you to help children in need through the Shoes That Fit program! Here are just a few ways you can give a meaningful gift that gives back to children in need across the U.S. this year.
- Nordstrom’s Holiday Giving Tree program runs through December 24th - We invite you to visit any Nordstrom or selected Nordstrom Rack in the U.S. to purchase a $10 tag that will help donate a new pair of New Balance athletic shoes to children in the local community through the Shoes That Fit program.
- Merchants in downtown Claremont Village (CA) hosting a Sock Walk through December. Donate a new package of socks for children in need & pick up a little something extra for yourself at any one of the unique Village shops. Click here for a complete list of drop-off locations.
- Help children in Newton, Marshalltown, Fort Dodge and Ames, IA by picking up a donor card with a child's name, age & shoe size, purchase the shoes & drop off at one of many drop-off locations. Our volunteers at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA will make sure children in need receive your donation of new shoes.
- Give a gift that gives back by shopping AmazonSmile and choosing Shoes That Fit as your charity before shopping. AmazonSmile Foundation donates 0.5% of your purchases to Shoes That Fit!
We love to hear from our supporters, so please contact us with any comments, questions or inspiring stories!
With the start of the giving season upon us, there are lots of ways you can still give back to help children in need.
- Nordstrom Holiday Giving Tree program begins Friday 11/29! Shoes That Fit, Nordstrom & New Balance partnering to make the holidays brighter for children in need. We invite you to visit any Nordstrom or selected Nordstrom Rack in the U.S. to purchase a $10 tag that will help donate a new pair of shoes to children in the local community.
- You've heard of Black Friday, Small Business Saturday & Cyber Monday? Now #GivingTuesday on December 3 is added to the national line-up. #GivingTuesday proves that the holidays can be about both giving and giving back.
Here are just a few ways you can help children in need through Shoes That Fit on #GivingTuesday!
1. Invest in the future of children in your community by making a gift to
Shoes That Fit
2. Help provide new shoes by visiting any Nordstrom store in the U.S. or selected Nordstrom Racks & purchase a tag from the Giving Tree for only $10! Your gift will help provide a new pair of New Balance shoes to a local child in need.
3. Give a gift that gives back by shopping AmazonSmile and choosing Shoes
That Fit as your charity before shopping. AmazonSmile Foundation donates 0.5% of your purchases to Shoes That Fit!
- Merchants in downtown Claremont Village (CA) hosting a Sock Walk through December. Donate a new package of socks for children in need & pick up a little something extra for yourself at any one of the unique Village shops. Click here for a complete list of drop-off locations.
- Our volunteers at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA providing new shoes to children in Newton, Marshalltown, Fort Dodge and Ames but could use your help. Pick up a donor card with a child's name, age & shoe size, purchase the shoes & drops off at one of their many drop-off locations.
We love to hear from our supporters, so please contact us with any events, comments, questions or inspiring stories about the Shoes That Fit programs in your community!
Shoes That Fit Executive Director Roni Lomeli has been awarded the Women Who Make a Difference award from Longines, the Swiss Watch Company, and Town&Country Magazine. Now in its fifth year, this award celebrates women who make a positive impact in children's lives. Roni was honored at an awards dinner hosted by tennis legend Stefanie Graf in New York City and will be featured in the February 2014 issue of Town & Country Magazine. "It’s hard to believe that it has been five years since we started honoring women who make a difference in partnership with Longines," said Town&Country Publisher and Chief Revenue Officer Jennifer Levene Bruno. "We have so many readers committing their lives to worthwhile causes and it’s a pleasure to be able to honor them in this way.”
With the official arrival of fall comes lots of hustle and bustle here in the Shoes That Fit Headquarters! Students are settling back into school which means requests for shoes from our emergency warehouse are nonstop, volunteers across the country are busy shoe shopping to fill the need in their own communities and donors continue to generously support all of this wonderful work to help children in need. Recently, we asked you to help support the work of Shoes That Fit by writing a review on Great Nonprofits and the response was overwhelming! We’ve been named a Top Rated Nonprofit by Great Nonprofits, a distinction we would not have achieved without your help! Thank You.
There’s a lot going on to support the work of Shoes That Fit that you can participate in. Here are just a few ways you can help:
- Shop at Chico’s in Claremont, CA Saturday 9-28-13 from 12pm-4pm, mention Shoes That Fit and 10% of your purchase will be donated to us.
- The FATE Group volunteer chapter of Shoes That Fit along with Temple Solel in Paradise Valley, AZ holding a shoe drive called ‘Caring By Pairing’ through the end of the year to help local Arizona children in need. Congregations and organizations wishing to participate can contact Sharon Levine of Temple Solel’s Social Action committee.
- Strap on your lederhosen and sombrero, it’s time for OKTOBER FIESTA! Our friends at Dale Bros Brewery in Upland, CA hosting a fundraiser 10-19-13 from 5pm-10pm. Live music, great food, and lots of fun! Tickets are $5 at the door. Bring a new pair of athletic shoes and be entered in a raffle! Side note: if you participate in eGood, Dale Bros will donate a % of your purchase to Shoes That Fit during the entire month of October!
- Do you enjoy Baubles, Bling and Bubbly? If so, then don’t miss a charity event hosted by Kathleen Bradford Studio/Gallery in Bonita Springs, FL on Monday 10-21-13 from 5pm-8pm. Unique art and jewelry designs for you to choose from and 20% of your purchase donated to the Bonita Springs Chapter of Shoes That Fit. Complimentary champagne and sweets provided!
- Stamp Your Heart Out and The Bath Workshop hosting a sock drive during Village Venture Saturday 10-26-13 from 9am-5pm. Find one of a kind items during this Arts and Crafts Faire and don’t forget to bring a new package of socks for shoe sizes 10 child through 12 adult.
Needless to say, there’s lots going on around the country to help provide new shoes to children in need through Shoes That Fit, so check back next month for more great happenings and a MAJOR announcement!
As the summer season comes to a close and autumn nears, Shoes That Fit volunteer programs across the country have already geared up for Back-To-School! With our programs now in 42 states across the country, there are countless hours of preparation to ensure that thousands of students return to school this year in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. New shoes that fit help these deserving children fit in with their peers, participate in physical activity, concentrate on learning rather than their circumstances and enjoy a renewed sense of pride and self-esteem. We are truly thankful for our donors, volunteers and supporters whose donations ensure that going back to school for these children is a positive experience; we could not do this work without all of you! Here's just a sampling of some of the wonderful work being done:
Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk hosted by the Village Marketing Group in Claremont, CA was a great success! Proceeds from this event help fund the annual Back-To-School campaign in the Claremont Village during August.
In early July, The Bonita Springs, FL chapter of Shoes That Fit prepared hundreds of bags filled with new shoes, socks & clothing thanks to the generosity of volunteers and proceeds from their annual luncheon.
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce (CA) held their annual month-long shoe drive in June to fill the shelves of our emergency warehouse in Claremont, CA. They collected cash donations as well!
Dahl's Foods throughout Des Moines, IA began collecting $1 and $5 donations in support of our Shoes That Fit chapter in their community.
The annual Concerts Under the Stars series hosted by the Hafif Family Foundation was a sell out (as usual) and 100% of our suggested ticket donation price came directly to Shoes That Fit.
Each year during July, a golf tournament is hosted by OnMedia Ad Sales in Iowa (a division of Mediacom) to support the back-to-school shoe purchases made by volunteers Bob & Regina Montgomery and their team of dedicated co-workers! This year's turnout was the best to date: 129 golfers and net proceeds of $15,000!
Generous grants from the De Falco Family Foundation and Vons Charitable Foundation were received to provide new shoes for children in need in the states of Washington and California this fall!
Joyce N. and her friends at the Unitarian Universalist Society in Ormond Beach, FL loaded up the back of their van with new shoes & socks for children in their community just in time for back-to-school.
Last, but certainly not least, Susan Pearson of The Bath Workshop in Claremont, CA worked tirelessly along with her employees to ensure that 250 local Inland Empire (CA) children in need returned to school with new shoes, socks, backpacks and school supplies! This monumental effort took place during July and was a huge success thanks to Susan, members of The Village Marketing Group and our generous community!
While enjoying the rest and relaxation summer brings, many of you might be wondering how you can help Shoes That Fit from the comfort of your own home, poolside, beachside or lakeside. Will you take just 3 minutes and tell others about your experience with Shoes That Fit? Your personal story and feedback helps us gain visibility and may help us improve our program. Please share your experience at the Great Nonprofits website.
First and foremost, THANK YOU to everyone who voted for Shoes That Fit to help us win a $75,000 grant from DSW's Shoe Lovers Care contest on Facebook earlier this month!
Although we didn't win this grant, your support and dedication to Shoes That Fit and the children we serve is invaluable to us! Your 'Votes' and 'Shares' helped spread awareness about who we are and what we do for children across the U.S. Many of you told us you are not on Facebook but still asked 'How can I help?' We are truly grateful to you for forwarding our email requests for help to your friends, family & coworkers.
With the official start of summer came a mini-windfall of good news!
Fashion Footwear Association of New York (FFaNY) hosts the New York Shoe Expo, home to exhibitions of over 300 footwear manufacturers representing 800 fashion footwear brands. $20,000 was donated to us during their annual Industry Cocktail Party kicking off the shoe expo in early June
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce held a month long shoe drive and raffle drawing which resulted in $755, 26 pairs of shoes and a chance to win 'Beer For a Year' to adults making a monetary contribution through the Chamber, compliments of our fellow chamber member MillerCoors
$10,000 grant was awarded to us from our friends at Inland Empire United Way in support of our programs in Southern California
One of our California volunteers, Kathi Balousek, was honored for her committment to children as 'Outstanding Bay Area Catholic Woman' Congratulations, Kathi!
But wait! There's more! Coming soon are 'FUN'raisers throughout the Southland and beyond:
Claremont Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk June 29th 4-8pm - Sample craft beer, good food, great live music throughout The Village. Advance tickets available!
Concerts Under the Stars is back again this year! July 13th & July 20th dates still available so call or email us today for tickets. 100% of your $55 donation goes directly to Shoes That Fit. The entire cost of this magical evening which includes appetizers, dinner, dessert and of course live entertainment is generously donated by the Hafif Family Foundation!
July 17th is the annual OnMedia Cable Ad Sales golf tournament in support of the Des Moines, IA chapter of Shoes That Fit!
Scheels Shoes That Fit 10K Run/Walk August 24th, West Des MOines, IA - Registration now open
Last but not least, if you know of an event to benefit any of our Shoes That Fit chapters across the country, please contact us with the info so we can share with our supporters!
Many of us will choose to go barefoot this summer, but many children in need will have no choice. Thank you for believing as we do, that every child deserves shoes that fit!
Have you often wondered how you can help children in need when, like many of us, you don't have the time, energy or resources to volunteer? Well, here's your chance to help us in less than 1 minute & all you need is a Facebook account and your laptop, tablet or computer.
Shoes That Fit has been nominated for a $75,000 grant from DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse to help us provide new shoes for children in need. This grant will allow us to expand our programs so children in need can attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. We need your votes and we need you to share this info!!!
Simply visit the DSW facebook page, click "Like" then click on the green "Shoe Lovers Care" tab and vote for Shoes That Fit - That's it! Please vote every day from June 6-19th!
We've discovered a few helpful tips to make voting easy:
- DSW did not design this contest for voting with your cellphones! (so sorry!)
- You only have to 'Like' DSW's page once, then vote daily until June 19th
- After your 1st vote, you may need to clear your computer's browsing history to make the 'Vote' buttons reappear on the Shoe Lovers Care page.
With the unofficial kick-off to summer just a few days away, we wanted to update you on all the wonderful things our supporters are doing in the coming months to continue helping children in need receive new shoes. Many of our volunteer chapters around the country have been working tirelessly throughout the school year to ensure that children attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. With summer fast approaching, many of these same students will attend summer school and even begin the new school year in the fall wearing the same shoes they are wearing right now! Many of our supporters ask, 'What can I do to help?' Here are some simple and fun ways you can contribute to Shoes That Fit so mark your calendars now!
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce hosting a shoe drive through June 13th. Each donation of a new pair of athletic shoes or $20 gift through the Chamber enters you in a drawing to win 'Beer For A Year' compliments of MillerCoors!
Online shopping through GoodSearch - It’s easy. Just pick a cause you care about (hopefully, Shoes That Fit!) Then, as you go about your daily online activities like searching or shopping, you’ll be raising money for our cause – at no cost to you!
Join us in the Claremont Village (CA) June 29th for 'Blues & Brews' Craft Beer Walk & enjoy live music & delicious food at over 30 Village businesses! A portion of the proceeds from this event benefit Shoes That Fit!
The Hafif Family Foundation is once again hosting a series of Concerts Under the Stars & generously absorbing the entire cost of the event, leaving 100% of each $55 ticket donation to Shoes That Fit when purchased through us! Dates are: July 13, July 20 & August 10 - appetizers, dinner, drinks & live music on the breathtaking grounds of the Hafif Estate.
If you're a runner, register for the annual Scheels Shoes That Fit 10K taking place August 24th in West Des Moines, IA. $5 of each registration fee donated to our volunteer chapter at OnMedia Ad Sales!
Are you hosting any parties this summer? Consider a party with a purpose - invite your guests to support Shoes That Fit by bringing a new pair of athletic shoes to donate to our emergency warehouse in CA or make a small contribution safely & securely online in honor of the host (that's you!)
Coming soon: we are a finalist in DSW Shoe Lovers Care program, Leave Your Mark! You can help Shoes That Fit win $75,000 beginning June 6 through June 19! Simply vote for Shoes That Fit on DSW's Facebook page & share the news with your Facebook friends. Every vote counts!
There are many ways for you to keep in touch with all the goings on at Shoes That Fit; Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter, sign up for eNews or follow us on LinkedIn.
Thank you for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
Thanks for visiting our blog today! There's lots going on here at Shoes That Fit and we're excited to share all the good news with you.
Through the generosity of the Village Marketing Group, participating Claremont, CA merchants and our local community, over 200 children sprung into spring with new shoes, socks & other goodies during the Spring For Shoes event!
Our volunteers and incredible attorneys at Holland & Hart, LLP in Las Vegas, NV delivered 360 pairs of new shoes to students recently as part of their ongoing committment to provide 'non-legal' charitable and civic work in their community as well as pro-bono professional service.
Bonita Springs, FL chapter of Shoes That Fit had another successful luncheon and fashion show fundraiser thanks to volunteer Pat Leggett.
We are grateful for our recent partnership with DaVita, Inc. DaVita employees, or teammates as they like to be called, embarked on a nationwide community service event called "Shoes-a-palooza" and delivered more than 11,000 pairs of new shoes to schoolchildren in need across the U.S.!
Our small staff of employees has grown from 6 to 7 and the mission of Shoes That Fit is spreading thanks to the continued support of our loyal donors and volunteers.
We recently completed our statistics and are proud to say that since 1992, Shoes That Fit has provided 1,187,540 pairs of new shoes and other items to children in need throughout the country! Our programs help students in over 1,600 schools within 42 states. We've also achieved Charity Navigator's highest rating of 4-Stars for a third consecutive year.
We are thankful for the continued support of our donors, volunteers and supporters and welcome any questions or comments you might have.
And remember, Shoes That Fit has gone social so you can keep up with all the wonderful work being done through our programs. Find us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and watch us on YouTube!
With Daylight Savings time just a few days away, we are getting ready to kick off spring with the annual Spring For Shoes event! With the help of our sponsor, the Village Marketing Group, many participating merchants in the Claremont Village (CA) will give you the opportunity from March 8 through March 24 to help 125 local school children in need return from Spring Break in new shoes that fit!
Spring For Shoes is a yearly event coordinated by Village Marketing Group with the help participating merchants in downtown Claremont, CA and the generosity of their customers and the local community. It's a simple way of helping kids in need return to school this spring in comfort and with dignity, ready to learn and play!
Here's how it works:
- Beginning Friday March 8th, visit any participating merchant in the Claremont Village
- Check out a tote bag already complete with a child's first name, age & shoe size
- Fill the bag with a new pair of athletic shoes, socks & other goodies (suggested list of goodies in bag!)
- Return the tote bag to the merchant/store where you checked it out from by Sunday March 24th
- Make a child in need very happy when they receive the tote bag YOU filled!
It's that easy! Thank You for helping a child in need receive shoes that fit!
p.s. While picking out your tote bag to fill, don't forget to pick up a little something extra for your loved ones or yourself. Lots of wonderful Village Merchants are participating!
- Aromatique Skin & Body Care - 319 W. First St. Suite A (909) 626-7422
- Buddhamouse Emporium - 134 Yale Ave (909) 626-3322
- Colors 91711 - 248 Harvard Ave (909) 624-6161
- Dr. Grubb's - 353 W. Bonita Ave (909) 621-6200
- Escape Salon - 250 W. First St. #146 (909) 399-3181
- Le Pain Quotidien - 175 N. Indian Hill Blvd., #103-AB (909) 625-1609
- Pita Pit - 1 N. Indian Hill Blvd., #104 (909) 624-3900
- Scarlett Closet - 254 W. Bonita Ave (909) 621-6100
- Sonja Stump Photography - 135 W. First St (909) 626-1147
- Stamp Your Heart Out - 131-C Harvard Ave (909) 621-4363
- The Bath Workshop - 175 N. Indian Hill Blvd., #100A (909) 625-3417
- The Green Gypsie - 526 W. First St (Packing House) (909) 621-4717
See You In The Village!
As we begin a new year, Shoes That Fit is so grateful for our many volunteers and donors who give so generously of their time and resources to make sure that children in need across the country attend schol in new shoes in comfort and with dignity, ready to learn and play. Thank You! New shoes bring hope and joy to the many, many children we serve.
Here are just a few of the achievements you made possible in 2012:
- Our 3rd consecutive 4-star rating from Charity Navigator (their highest rating)
- Our first ever gala, celebrating 1 million pairs of new shoes and other items donated to children since our founding 20 years ago
- 257 pairs of new shoes donated to children at PS 25 Elementary school in Brooklyn, NY after the devastation of Hurricane Sandy.
We could not have reached these milestones without you, our loyal volunteers and donors. Thank You!
As our 20th anniversary comes to a close, we are truly grateful for our volunteers, supporters and the many milestones we have achieved. One million pairs of new shoes and other items were donated to children in need across the county since our founding in 1992 - no easy feat! With the holidays in full swing and so much for us all to be grateful for, let's not forget the deserving children helped through Shoes That Fit.
It's not too late! If you haven't made your year-end contribution to Shoes That Fit, you can safely & securely donate online now or mail in your check. If you have already sent your gift, Thank You! You help make it possible for children in need to attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play.
You can also help children in need through the annual Nordstrom Holiday Giving Tree program across the U.S.from now through December 24, 2012. Every Nordstrom Full-line store will display holiday trees with tags that customers can purchase for $20. Each of the more than 8,100 tags represents a deserving child in that community who will receive a new pair of New Balance athletic shoes.
If you're in Southern California, our small emergency warehouse located within our Claremont headquarters is desperately in need of restocking of all sizes (children's size 10 through adult size 12). Your donation of new, closed heel, closed toe athletic style shoes will be greatly appreciated.
Wishing you a Happy Holiday and Prosperous New Year!
Roni, Amy, Lee, Barbara, Jarret and Thomas
Oh, how the year has raced by! Our 20th anniversary celebration is behind us and here we are at the start of the holiday season.
We are in the midst of our busiest time of year here at Shoes That Fit; children have settled into the new school year, and found their place among their fellow classmates. After the huge back-to-school push to get new shoes to children in need to start the school year off right, we are now facing the dilemma of how to help the children still in need of shoes this holiday season.
You already know how tough times are for so many struggling families. When faced with the choice of food on the table or a new pair of shoes for school - food has to prevail. These children just want to fit in and a new pair of shoes will help them do that, allowing a sigh of relief for the family and a smile on a happy child's face.
This holiday season, please consider making a gift of new shoes in honor of a loved one. We will send a card with a personalized message from you. Your gift in any amount is appreciated.
Our thanks to every one of you who put smiles on the faces of children in need by helping provide them with new shoes this holiday season.
A new campaign launched on Modern Woodmen of America's facebook page will benefit Shoes That Fit with a donation up to $10,000! Modern Woodmen, a fraternal financial services organization since 1893, will donate $1 to Shoes That Fit for every new 'LIKE' they receive on their fan page. The goal is to reach 10,000 fans by the end of 2012.
"This campaign ties closely to the mission of Modern Woodmen - to improve quality of life for members and communities," said Kim Woodward, Corporate Communications. "As a fraternal financial services organization, our members across the country work to improve communities and help people. Donating to Shoes That Fit is an online version of these fraternal programs!"
If you've been wanting to help children in need through Shoes That Fit, here's your chance. It only takes a minute and costs you the click of your mouse.
Here's what you can do: Visit Modern Woodmen of America's facebook page and click the tab that says 'LIKE Shoes That Fit' then click the 'LIKE' button. That's it!
You can also help by spreading the word about this campaign to your facebook friends to help us reach the $10,000 goal. Help children in need receive new shoes through Shoes That Fit with a simple click of your mouse! What could be easier? Thank You for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
Do you remember the excitement and anticipation of each new school year? The joy you felt shopping for new shoes and eagerly awaiting the first day of school so you could proudly show them off? Maybe your experience was similar to today’s deserving children in need. Despair and anxiety build at the thought of another school year where you don’t fit in and get teased and humiliated.
One in five children will find it hard to fit in at school because of their poverty. Back to school is here and you can make a difference for a child in need through Shoes That Fit by providing new shoes that allow them to attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. You can alleviate their embarrassment.
You can change a child’s life - who will you help? Your gift of new shoes allows a child to simply fit in with others, making a visible sign of their poverty disappear. Torn, stinky, ill-fitting shoes tell the world that something is wrong. New shoes can inspire hope and confidence and propel a child towards success at school. A simple pair of new shoes has the power to make a child excel.
“Dear Shoes That Fit, I want to thank you for my shoes. I am very happy, you guys helped my life. You are too kind. Sincerely, Meeko”
Erica was a child helped by Shoes That Fit here in California. She spoke at our recent Sneaker Ball event in April 2012, where we celebrated our 20 year anniversary and the delivery of the one millionth pair of shoes. She is a high school graduate, an inspiration to her younger sister and brother and has a job that helps support her family. To Erica, shoes meant more than just shoes—this was a gift from someone she didn’t even know. Erica attributes her success to someone who cared enough to give her a simple pair of new shoes long ago.
School teacher Kathy wrote: “Just wanted to share with you the EXCITEMENT when Zeharia BOUNCED back into my classroom after she received her new shoes!! It was just heart-warming. Those shoes could not have come at a better time - I have had to hot glue her shoes together 3 times over the past week. Her new shoes arrived this afternoon. Thank you so much!”
Imagine what the future holds for a child you help. When was the last time you were able to give a life-changing gift? Maybe this will be the first time. Your continued partnership with Shoes That Fit is necessary as we work to help children in need go to school and focus on their studies rather than their circumstances. It doesn’t take much and is a truly meaningful act of kindness.
Please donate online today or call our office at 888-715-4333.
Thank you for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
Roni Lomeli, Executive Director
Although the dog days of summer are upon us, Shoes That Fit volunteers & supporters have been busy getting ready to help children in need return to school in comfort & with dignity!
Below is a recap of some amazing work being done by our generous supporters!
* Village Marketing Group’s annual Back To School campaign which provided 300 pairs of new shoes, socks , backpacks & school supplies to children in need in Southern California
* Shoes That Fit corporate partner DaVita was praised by Forbes.com for their efforts to help children in need in communities where their employees live & work
* Teen actor Sam Lant celebrated his 16th Birthday with a charity event in which he collected 136 pairs of new shoes in lieu of gifts (amazing!) for donation to Shoes That Fit’s Emergency Warehouse
* The Shoe Crew, a group of SoCal teens, held charity events throughout the summer which resulted in over 2,000 pairs of new shoes collected for children in need. Click here to read more about this amazing endeavor!
Shoes That Fit has been named Nonprofit of the Year by Claremont Chamber of Commerce for Outstanding Service to the Community! There are many wonderful charitable organizations based here in Claremont, CA so Shoes That Fit is honored to have been chosen for this inaugural award. Of course, we could not continue our work without the support of our amazing volunteers & donors like you! Read all about our award here!
Help us win a new car to make an even bigger difference in the lives of children in need!
Shoes That Fit is proud to announce we’ve been selected as a finalist in Toyota’s 100 Cars for Good Program. Now we need your support!
Tell your friends and vote for Shoes That Fit at www.100carsforgood.com on July 14, 2012. (You must be logged into your Facebook page to vote)
Toyota’s 100 Cars for Good program will be awarding 100 vehicles to 100 nonprofits over the course of 100 days based on votes through Facebook from the public. A total of 500 nonprofits were selected from more than 4,000 applications nationwide.
Thank You for your support of Shoes That Fit & the children we serve!
A new campaign launched this week on Modern Woodmen of America's facebook page will benefit Shoes That Fit with a donation up to $10,000! Modern Woodmen, a fraternal financial services organization, will donate $1 to Shoes That Fit for every new 'Like' they receive on their fan page. The goal is to reach 10,000 fans by the end of 2012. Here's how you can help:
- Visit www.facebook.com/modernwoodmen and 'LIKE' the page. That's it!
- You can also spread the word to your facebook friends to help us reach the $10,000 goal. Help children in need receive new shoes through Shoes That Fit with a simple click of your mouse!
The Claremont Village Merchants are springing into action to help 200 local Southern California children in need receive new shoes and other treats. The 8th Annual Spring For Shoes That Fit campaign kicks off in downtown Claremont, CA today and runs through April 25th. Hop on down to The Village where you can pick up a basket from participating merchants. Each basket has a child's name, age & shoe size attached, fill the basket with new shoes, socks and goodies then return the basket to the store you picked it up from by April 25th. A child in need will step into Spring with not only a new pair of shoes but with a renewed sense of hope, dignity and self-esteem. See you in The Village!
Shoes That Fit is proud to announce that on March 11th our very own volunteer extraordinaire, Linda Ray, will be awarded the Heroes of the Heartland award by Stater Bros. Markets which includes $10,000 to donate to the charity of her choice!
Linda has been working her magic as a Shoes That Fit volunteer since 2004. She has led her Golden State Foods workplace in City of Industry in their Shoes That Fit endeavors, donating 2,234 pairs of brand new athletic shoes to children in need at 39 schools in eastern LA County, the Inland Empire and beyond. Linda’s site is geared to help an additional 7 schools before Spring Break. Potentially 525 more kids will be heading to school with shoes that fit—and smiles on their faces.
Linda says Shoes That Fit is more than just a workplace project.
“Partnering with Shoes That Fit not only has strengthened our community and our company’s culture,” says Linda, “but it is now a mission within my family that is being passed to a third generation.”
Linda’s Shoes That Fit work has inspired other Golden State Foods sites across the country from Washington state to North Carolina. From the beginning of the school year in August 2011 on through this past winter break, Golden State Foods chapters provided 1,674 pairs of new shoes to children in 8 states—all working with the same model Linda helped develop.
“Linda has taken time from her busy schedule to participate as a volunteer for our Foundation for many years,” says Renee Uribe, the current GSF Foundation Chair at their site. “Volunteers such as Linda are changing the lives and shaping the future for youth throughout our communities every day. She is truly an inspiration.”
“While Shoes That Fit is a national organization helping children in 40 states, we are focusing our growth in LA and Orange Counties and the Inland Empire,” says Roni Lomeli, Executive Director of Shoes That Fit. “If we could clone one volunteer to help us achieve our goals, it would be Linda Ray. By lashing her corporation’s commitment to community involvement to her personal and family passion for giving, Linda not only provides new shoes to hundreds of children each year, she inspires others to do the same.”
1420 N. Claremont Blvd.Suite 204A, Claremont, CA 91711
Toll Free: (888) 715-4333 Phone#: (909) 482-0050 Fax: (909) 482-0085