Shoes That Fit Blog by category: back to school
- Rack Room Shoes is helping children in need head back to school in new athletic shoes that fit! This year, they are matching 100% of your donation made in each of their stores or online. Every dollar raised at each of their stores stays in the local community! Visit their website to find a store near you.
- You can support a great cause by lacing up to run with #TeamShoesThatFit in a Holiday Half Marathon or 5K at Fairplex in Pomona, CA Dec. 12-13, 2015. Every step you take on the race course will benefit a child living in poverty locally and will help raise funds and awareness for Shoes That Fit. Sponsorship opportunities also available! Contact our office today.
- It’s official! Shoes That Fit has earned accreditation from the Better Business Bureau’s Wise Giving Alliance. Accreditation is based on having met all 20 rigorous Standards For Charity Accountability.
- Thanks to our long-time friends at California Sporting Goods Association in Rancho Santa Margarita, CA for their generous contribution in support of our Back-To-School program. Their continued support helps students return to school in comfort, confidence and with dignity, ready to learn and play.
- Kudos to volunteer Bob Montgomery and his team at OnMedia Ad Sales in Des Moines, IA for another successful golf tournament! Now in their 14th year helping children through Shoes That Fit, proceeds from this annual event help provide new shoes and other necessities to students throughout Central Iowa. Special thanks to their local Subway for sponsoring the event. Click here for a peek!
- Our local Claremont Village merchants wrapped up their annual Back-To-School campaign and with the help of generous community members, 300 local SoCal students will start school with much needed new shoes, socks, backpacks and school supplies. Mike Manning, owner of The Last Drop Café did an outstanding job coordinating this event!
- Thank you for your continued support of Shoes That Fit and the children we serve. You can keep up with all our latest info by LIKING and following us on Facebook and Twitter. https://www.facebook.com/ShoesThatFitNonProfit
• With the new school year in full swing, there are many children in need of new shoes throughout the country. Your support today will help Shoes That Fit expand our program to help students fit in with their peers and be better prepared to learn and play. Thank you for investing in Shoes That Fit!
• Rack Room Shoes is once again ensuring that children in the communities surrounding each of their more 300 stores return to school in confidence and with dignity in new shoes that fit. Over the past 7 years, over 115,000 pairs of new shoes have been donated by Rack Room Shoes through the Shoes That Fit program. Customers helped children in their own communities by donating $5 to their Back-To-School effort and received a colorable, canvas tote bag, compliments of Rack Room Shoes!
• It’s not too late for you to join the first-ever Shoes That Fit team for a fundraising Holiday Half Marathon and 5K Run/Walk at Pomona Fairplex (CA) December 13 and 14! Entry fees are $85 for the Half Marathon and $30 for the 5K, but be sure to contact us today before the fees increase on Sept. 15!
Here’s how to get started:
1. To start your registration, go to www.shoesthatfit.org and click “Donate Now”: contribute $85 for the Half Marathon OR $30 for the 5K Run/Walk before the rates go up on Sept.15!
2. Wait for your entry fee confirmation letter and email from Shoes That Fit which will include your special charity promo code.
3. Go to the Holiday Half Marathon website and register yourself for the race using your special charity promo code to indicate you’ve already submitted your fee.
4. Before the run, gather support from your family, friends and coworkers to sponsor you in this inaugural Shoes That Fit team. You will have access to MyCharityofChoice.com to set-up your own fundraising page!
If you have any questions about the race or starting your registration, please contact Barbara@shoesthatfit.org or call our office for details!
• How can cleaning out your closet help Shoes That Fit and children in need? Now, you can donate your designer clothing, accessories and shoes to Fashion Project, choose Shoes That Fit as the charity you’d like to support and Fashion Project resells your donated items for maximum value! Proceeds from your items are then granted to Shoes That Fit. You can also earn a $40 Nordstrom Gift Card with your eligible donation! What better incentive to clean out that closet to make room for your fall wardrobe? It’s fashion as a force for good.
• Are you considering going solar for clean, more affordable energy? Shoes That Fit is now a Solar City network partner! When you install your solar system through Solar City, they will donate $250 to help kids in need through Shoes That Fit! To get more information and a free quote, click on this link today.
• There are many ways to stay in touch with Shoes That Fit – Sign up for eNews & Updates, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter. If you’d like to submit event info or an inspirational story related to your Shoes That Fit experience, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
As the summer season comes to a close and autumn nears, Shoes That Fit volunteer programs across the country have already geared up for Back-To-School! With our programs now in 42 states across the country, there are countless hours of preparation to ensure that thousands of students return to school this year in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. New shoes that fit help these deserving children fit in with their peers, participate in physical activity, concentrate on learning rather than their circumstances and enjoy a renewed sense of pride and self-esteem. We are truly thankful for our donors, volunteers and supporters whose donations ensure that going back to school for these children is a positive experience; we could not do this work without all of you! Here's just a sampling of some of the wonderful work being done:
Blues & Brews Craft Beer Walk hosted by the Village Marketing Group in Claremont, CA was a great success! Proceeds from this event help fund the annual Back-To-School campaign in the Claremont Village during August.
In early July, The Bonita Springs, FL chapter of Shoes That Fit prepared hundreds of bags filled with new shoes, socks & clothing thanks to the generosity of volunteers and proceeds from their annual luncheon.
Irwindale Chamber of Commerce (CA) held their annual month-long shoe drive in June to fill the shelves of our emergency warehouse in Claremont, CA. They collected cash donations as well!
Dahl's Foods throughout Des Moines, IA began collecting $1 and $5 donations in support of our Shoes That Fit chapter in their community.
The annual Concerts Under the Stars series hosted by the Hafif Family Foundation was a sell out (as usual) and 100% of our suggested ticket donation price came directly to Shoes That Fit.
Each year during July, a golf tournament is hosted by OnMedia Ad Sales in Iowa (a division of Mediacom) to support the back-to-school shoe purchases made by volunteers Bob & Regina Montgomery and their team of dedicated co-workers! This year's turnout was the best to date: 129 golfers and net proceeds of $15,000!
Generous grants from the De Falco Family Foundation and Vons Charitable Foundation were received to provide new shoes for children in need in the states of Washington and California this fall!
Joyce N. and her friends at the Unitarian Universalist Society in Ormond Beach, FL loaded up the back of their van with new shoes & socks for children in their community just in time for back-to-school.
Last, but certainly not least, Susan Pearson of The Bath Workshop in Claremont, CA worked tirelessly along with her employees to ensure that 250 local Inland Empire (CA) children in need returned to school with new shoes, socks, backpacks and school supplies! This monumental effort took place during July and was a huge success thanks to Susan, members of The Village Marketing Group and our generous community!
Do you remember the excitement and anticipation of each new school year? The joy you felt shopping for new shoes and eagerly awaiting the first day of school so you could proudly show them off? Maybe your experience was similar to today’s deserving children in need. Despair and anxiety build at the thought of another school year where you don’t fit in and get teased and humiliated.
One in five children will find it hard to fit in at school because of their poverty. Back to school is here and you can make a difference for a child in need through Shoes That Fit by providing new shoes that allow them to attend school in comfort and with dignity, better prepared to learn and play. You can alleviate their embarrassment.
You can change a child’s life - who will you help? Your gift of new shoes allows a child to simply fit in with others, making a visible sign of their poverty disappear. Torn, stinky, ill-fitting shoes tell the world that something is wrong. New shoes can inspire hope and confidence and propel a child towards success at school. A simple pair of new shoes has the power to make a child excel.
“Dear Shoes That Fit, I want to thank you for my shoes. I am very happy, you guys helped my life. You are too kind. Sincerely, Meeko”
Erica was a child helped by Shoes That Fit here in California. She spoke at our recent Sneaker Ball event in April 2012, where we celebrated our 20 year anniversary and the delivery of the one millionth pair of shoes. She is a high school graduate, an inspiration to her younger sister and brother and has a job that helps support her family. To Erica, shoes meant more than just shoes—this was a gift from someone she didn’t even know. Erica attributes her success to someone who cared enough to give her a simple pair of new shoes long ago.
School teacher Kathy wrote: “Just wanted to share with you the EXCITEMENT when Zeharia BOUNCED back into my classroom after she received her new shoes!! It was just heart-warming. Those shoes could not have come at a better time - I have had to hot glue her shoes together 3 times over the past week. Her new shoes arrived this afternoon. Thank you so much!”
Imagine what the future holds for a child you help. When was the last time you were able to give a life-changing gift? Maybe this will be the first time. Your continued partnership with Shoes That Fit is necessary as we work to help children in need go to school and focus on their studies rather than their circumstances. It doesn’t take much and is a truly meaningful act of kindness.
Please donate online today or call our office at 888-715-4333.
Thank you for believing as we do that every child deserves shoes that fit.
Roni Lomeli, Executive Director
Although the dog days of summer are upon us, Shoes That Fit volunteers & supporters have been busy getting ready to help children in need return to school in comfort & with dignity!
Below is a recap of some amazing work being done by our generous supporters!
* Village Marketing Group’s annual Back To School campaign which provided 300 pairs of new shoes, socks , backpacks & school supplies to children in need in Southern California
* Shoes That Fit corporate partner DaVita was praised by Forbes.com for their efforts to help children in need in communities where their employees live & work
* Teen actor Sam Lant celebrated his 16th Birthday with a charity event in which he collected 136 pairs of new shoes in lieu of gifts (amazing!) for donation to Shoes That Fit’s Emergency Warehouse
* The Shoe Crew, a group of SoCal teens, held charity events throughout the summer which resulted in over 2,000 pairs of new shoes collected for children in need. Click here to read more about this amazing endeavor!
Last year, you made it possible for Anthony & more than 119,000 children like him to start school with his head held high. Here is what he wrote after receiving his new shoes:
"...To you people it may be nothing but to me it is a blessing. For me a new pair of shoes to come by are really hard. I'm almost dirt poor and I look all bumish but with these new shoes I won't look that bad anymore...God bless you people for throwing some joy into my life-you people are too kind!
There are thousands of children all across the country just like Anthony. They are the kids in the back of the room whose feet hurt so much that they can't concentrate, so worried about what their peers will think, they don't even participate in recess.
We are depending on you to help children like Anthony take the first step to success in school with brand new Shoes That Fit. And it's so easy to do! Donate online now, mail your check or money order or consider becoming a Sole Mate & make automatic monthly donations of as little as $20 a month to Shoes That Fit. You'll receive an acknowledgement for your tax-deductible gift and a thank you note from a child your gift has helped. As Anthony wrote, "Take care of yourselves and once again, thank you!"
1420 N. Claremont Blvd.Suite 204A, Claremont, CA 91711
Toll Free: (888) 715-4333 Phone#: (909) 482-0050 Fax: (909) 482-0085